Pages

Thursday, October 10, 2013

Dealing With Stress

I came across this video and was very moved by it. When I showed it to my students, they had a very different understanding of what happened than I did (I love it when that happens!).



Our curriculum is full of tons of objectives that we cover throughout the year, but sometimes I think there are gaps we need to fill in. I don't think we talk to kids enough about how to handle stress in their lives-so that was the conversation we had after viewing this clip. I had them write about how they would handle stress like the boy endured--bullies or trouble at home, this is what they came up with. I love how they had plans for how they will handle life's obstacles:



When I get stressed, I'm going to hug one of my toys. (is she an artist or what!?)
I am going to do the right thing and say "why did you do that".


....I can sing.

 I will never worry about the bullies.



I'm going to ignore it.


I'm going to ignore them.
I'm going to get a rock and study it.
I'm going to scream really loud because I get annoyed.
I will talk to them so that bully to be nice to kids.

I'm going to play chess.

I'm going to tell the teacher.

This is one of my students who struggles with writing, but isn't that a perfect illustration of the video!

I'm going to dance and if that doesn't work, I am just going to fight and if that doesn't work I will just run for my life and I will try to run as fast as I can.

I'm going to lay at the beach and relax. :)





2 comments :

  1. Such a beautiful post. What a blessing that you're helping your students process every-day stuff and feel good about their problem-solving skills. An authentic life lesson!!

    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the video. I'm already thinking about how to use it with my kids. Thank your for sharing.
    ❀ Tammy
    Forever in First

    ReplyDelete