Pages

Friday, January 31, 2014

Goldie Blox

It has been quite a week! I've been teaching at public schools here in Texas for at least 12 years and we have never had a snow day. We have had 2 in the past week! Both days it was just for freezing rain, to the disappointment of kiddos who are dying to see real snow. I'm glad we didn't have to drive in it (people here are really good at driving through high water-but not wintry weather). But it certainly throws off plans and schedules. This is my baby the 2nd time she got stuck with her mama all day, interrupted her beauty sleep, I think :) :


So we are back to our regular schedule now, but the kids are still a little fired up. Yesterday I asked someone to give me an example of a noun and the answer given was: a, e, i, o, u ---a definite d'oh moment! Then we got into a discussion that was very much off-topic because of a child's random question, but I think a necessary safety reminder. However, not what my lesson plans said we were going to talk about. Just glad my assessor didn't walk in at that time!


Since we didn't get a whole lot of work done this week *sigh*, I thought I'd share my students' experience with this game. http://www.goldieblox.com/

I saw this on Facebook and other blogs when she was trying to get funding for it. The creator is a female engineer who thinks girls should be encouraged more to try activities that foster engineering skills so they can develop that love of math too. My very kind sister bought a copy of the game for my students for Christmas and let me tell you---they LOVE it! I consider it to be both a reading (they have a guidebook that gives you instructions how to build some of the templates) and math (the engineering part :) station. They can follow the directions the first few times and then they start coming up with their own. They have come up with some really creative designs!







Especially if you have your own daughter, I think this is a fun game for them. I'm sure the novelty will wear off eventually, but for now it's the hot workstation!


No comments :

Post a Comment