Pages

Wednesday, May 20, 2020

Books About Feelings

Our kiddos are going through a lot right now. I was in an online lesson, took a sip of water-it went down the wrong pipe and I started coughing. One of my students said "are you alright Miss Trayers, do you have the Coronavirus?" This is a 5 year old! I just can't imagine how they are trying to process all this. They take on the feelings of the adults around them and many adults are feeling scared right now. Plus, they are having to deal with social isolation and not being able to play in the park, etc. It's a lot for their little minds to process.

As we return in the fall, I think it's really important to include social-emotional strategies in our plans. I wanted to share my favorite books for talking about feelings with the little ones.





I LOVE Mr. Rogers. He was such a beautiful human being. His whole purpose in life was to give kids permission to  feel their feelings and be able to articulate them.


A great story about grief and how to deal with it. Little by little until you start to feel better.


One of my pet peeves is that people don't know how to just listen. They either want to tell you how to fix your problem or they want to tell you about their experiences. I hate when I share something with someone and they just turn it back around about themselves. This story shows how different animals react to a child who is upset. The rabbit just listens and that's what they needed.


I explicitly teach my students how to calm down. I model it for them myself when I get frustrated. Love being able to use stories to help give them strategies.


Lots of ways to calm down and Sophie tries all of them.


A cute story that I know many students can relate too. I mean everyone gets grumpy every once in a while right?


Different animals represent different feelings.








You have to let it in.



I thought this story was heartbreaking the first time I read it. How often do students feel invisible? I want my students to know how to include everyone.




No comments :

Post a Comment