Pages

Wednesday, February 24, 2021

Ethics and Valentine's Day

So I am posting this much later than I had planned. I am in in Texas and we had a harrowing week last week. Many people didn't understand why we had such a problem with 20 degree weather-it's 70 degrees today, that is our typical "winter" weather. So after no electricity and no water for a few days we are thankfully back to business here. 

If you know me at all you know that my favorite concept in Depth and Complexity is Ethics. My students are 1st Graders and this concept is often a difficult one for them. They see a world that is black and white, right and wrong but when they leave me they are able to identify more gray areas.

We read the story:



I asked students to think about if it is right to celebrate a holiday when not everyone can be included. What if you are like Mr. Hatch and don't have anyone in your life that loves you. The basis of this exercise was just to have them choose a side and defend it. Often they think of themselves and their experiences and I am trying to stretch them a little bit. Just because Valentine's day is fun for you doesn't mean it's fun for everyone. I think they did a pretty good job. :) 









No comments :

Post a Comment