Pages

Saturday, August 6, 2022

Perfectionism

I always have a handful of students who are perfectionists. It is actually very common with GT students. Students who do not want to paint because you can't erase. Students who shutdown because they can't think of an idea.

So how do we combat this? I always like to go to literature. Here are a few suggestions for read-alouds that will help create a safe space for your students to try new things.



This book reminds me of the time I was probably 6 years old and helped my dad make a cake for my mom to celebrate Mother's Day. I was reading the steps and my dad was measuring. We put it in the oven to bake and it was in there maybe 15 minutes when we realized we never added the flour or baking powder. We took it out mixed it in and when I tell you that was the BEST cake ever! Like we wanted to write in the new steps in the cookbook. :) Mistakes can often take us in a good direction.



I know at this point everyone and their mother knows Peter Reynolds but I would be remiss if I didn't include his books here. I have often had students blank when I ask them to do something creative-we have to just let go let those creative juices flow.


Ish allows us to give ourselves a break. It allows us to get close to the goal but if we don't meet it that's ok.




Beginning reader here about a bear who keeps adding and rearranging his sand castle to make it "perfect". 



This book is probably a 3rd grade and up book regarding the length and vocabulary but I still use it with my firsties. The brain research is really fascinating. The only way to grow our brains is to try hard things.


Cupcake tries to be perfect for everyone-and learns she can just be herself.



I've seen students grow and try new things over the years. It can be difficult when they feel that pull to be perfect, but the more opportunities we give them to make mistakes and see that it's not the end of the world, the more they are willing to step out of their comfort zones.



No comments :

Post a Comment