Pages

Wednesday, March 8, 2023

What If Dr. Seuss Wrote.....


One of my favorite ways to challenge my students is to ask them to envision one story written by another author.

Now let me preface this by saying, I know there are Dr. Seuss books that are problematic and I do use those books. We also talk about how we need to make sure the books we are reading are being fair to all people.

We read Charlotte's Web and now we are reading several different Dr. Seuss books. I asked the students to develop a list of "Rules" for Dr. Seuss books. Using those rules how would a version of Charlotte's Web look written by him.

I was so impressed with what they came up with:

\
That is one punk rock spider! I Love it!


He will make it super funny. (Charlotte is telling a joke-why did the chicken cross the road?)


It will rhyme and have sight words. (I don't know if you know this but The Cat in the Hat was written as a dare that he could not write a story using just the 220 sight word list).








I like to do author studies for a week at a time that way we really get to know the authors. Then this activity could be used with any texts. 




No comments :

Post a Comment