Pages

Tuesday, July 16, 2024

Books About Being Creative

Well my goal to post more on this blog hit a bit of a roadblock with Hurricane Beryl. I was without power for a very very LONG 8 days. But we are back in business! What a relief. I actually missed being able to do laundry. :)

Being unique is a goal of mine as a teacher. I don't want to read the stories the kids have already heard and take the field trips they have already taken. I want to give them a unique experience. So even if my teammates think I'm crazy, I will decorate our room like a bat cave or have students paint like Michaelangelo by laying under their tables. Modeling this for my students is as valuable as teaching it explicitly.

It is important to me that my students have an understanding of what it means to be creative.
Back when I was allowed to do read-alouds, :) these are the stories I would start with. I want students to learn to be creative and come up with original ideas. I want them to know that they are unique and it's ok to march to a different drummer. These characters are great models for this:


Stephanie wants a hairstyle different from her classmates and goes to great lengths to accomplish this.


Woolbur doesn't want to be like the other sheep. His family worries about him being different but in the end he stays true to himself.


I was surprised by how many teachers were not familiar with Tacky when I did my last PD presentation. Tacky is an odd bird but sometimes having an odd bird around is a good thing.


There is a video of this read aloud from Reading Rainbow. Monique likes digging in her mother's clothes to find accessories that can make her school uniform "unique".











No comments :

Post a Comment