Pages

Sunday, February 20, 2011

Perspective of an Inanimate Object

There's a Silvia Plath poem called "Mirror" which is an excellent example of perspective in writing. I only use the 1st half with the kids (the ending is a little unsettling, but it is Silvia Plath after all). It goes:

Mirror -by Silvia Plath
I am silver and exact. I have no preconceptions.
Whatever I see, I swallow immediately.
Just as it is, unmisted by love or dislike
I am not cruel, only truthful –
The eye of a little god, four-cornered.
Most of the time I meditate on the opposite wall.
It is pink, with speckles. I have looked at it so long
I think it is a part of my heart. But it flickers.
Faces and darkness separate us over and over.

I had the kids choose their own object to write about. We did bubble maps first from the perspective of the object itself-how would it describe itself. Then they wrote their poems. I think it's neat how they can give the objects personality.











1 comment :

  1. I love your ideas. Thanks for sharing them. I have awared you a Stylish Blogger Award. Go here for more information: Mrs. Saylor’s Log

    Kim @ Mrs. Saylor’s Log

    ReplyDelete