Pages

Monday, November 11, 2013

Freedom....


I don't know why but that George Michael song just popped into my head, do you remember that one? I'm telling you my brain is like 75% song lyrics! :)

In honor of Veteran's Day I decided to have my kids write the answer to a very open-ended question---what does freedom mean to you? Now I know this is a tough concept for especially the young kids to understand, I think because they don't know any differently-they very much live inside a bubble. I often bring up the fact that believe it or not, people don't have the same freedoms we do everywhere. I was very heartened to learn that the kids in my student book club for 3rd, 4th and 5th graders had actually heard of Malala and knew her cause (have you read her book by the way, unbelievable the courage a little girl can have). 

We definitely have to work on things like handwriting and presentation (I really want them to love writing, so I'm really trying to find a balance for revisions-I hate to make them redo it over and over ), but I was happy with the variety of answers I got. We're making these into our first class book of the year!









 













1 comment :