Pages

Tuesday, May 29, 2018

Immigration Debate with Kindergartners

The news for the past few days has just made me so sad. I am not afraid to publicly say that I disagree with the way immigration policies are being enforced by the current administration. Children getting lost in the system, the terrible conditions where they are being held. Repealing DACA and giving ICE the authority to do whatever it takes. I wanted to have my students debate whether or not we should allow immigrants into our country. Many of their families are from Mexico and it's something that may actually affect them in their daily lives.

But they are 5 and 6 year olds-so how to introduce this topic delicately. I read them this story:


It's the story of a little boy who is fleeing El Salvador and making the journey on foot and by bus to come to America where his mother is. They don't specifically say he is entering the country illegally, however that is the implication. The story focuses on his shoes and how they get him through this journey.

Then I asked my students to think about ethics-should we let immigrants into America. I made sure to remain completely neutral and assure them that whatever their opinion was-there was no wrong answer.


No because then Donald Trump will get mad and I will love it.
Not the biggest fan of our President. :) 


No because it might be a stranger.


Yes because I don't want them to die.


Yes because they need to speak to you.


Yes because we should help them.

Yes because they will be nice to us.


Yes, because they are excited.


Yes because they need water to survive.


Yes because we are good people and they are nice and careful.




Yes because it is helpful.


Yes because they have no country to live in.


Yes because maybe they lost their family.


I truly hope these kiddos grow up and seek roles in government. I think their hearts are in the right place.








No comments :

Post a Comment