Pages

Sunday, October 14, 2018

The Power of Novelty

My students are already getting a bit bored with their routines. We eat at the same time every day, go to recess and ancillary at the same time every day. We do our reading workshop, writing workshop, math workshop. When we celebrated Dot Day, my kiddos got so excited I decided to try to find more ways we can celebrate this year.

We have been working on a unit about bats this week. When my students arrived on Friday, they were in awe. Who did this? What happened? I decorated our door very primitively and on a Dollar Store budget but they were really excited. We wrote under the tables with clipboards with the "cave" above their heads. We played a game where they were bats and practiced using their ears and sense of smell instead of sight. It was a really fun day!




A little bit of novelty can go a long way to helping students LOVE school and keep them engaged.





No comments :

Post a Comment