Pages

Friday, July 29, 2011

Out of My Mind by Sharon Draper

I facilitate for a book club for our students. We have 2 different levels one for K-2 and one for 3rd-5th. We receive a list of 30+ book titles that the kids (and I) have to read over the school year and then we have a competition in the spring. I've tried to get a jump start this summer on reading the stories. My dog Ruby and I go sit out in the yard and I read while she watches the world go by-so she loves book club too!

Anyway, one of the books I have found very interesting. It's called Out of My Mind and I'm only about halfway through it but I think it's a really good book for teaching kids (and teachers) about students with special needs. It's told from the perspective of a little girl who suffers from cerebral palsy. Her parents are wonderful, but of course, frustrated with not being able to properly communicate with their child. She has good teachers and ones who are not so good-I've always been a proponent of being able to learn from both.

When we introduce this story I'm going to contact our local agencies and see if they can bring in someone to talk to the students about the disorder. I think it's a great opportunity to learn about the life and struggles of kids and parents with special needs. The story probably isn't for very young students, but if you were reading aloud there are parts you could certainly edit a little bit. Overall it's just a very endearing story.

2 comments :

  1. Hi, I'm a new reader. Your blog was profiled at a workshop I went to on Wednesday. To go with this book. You might want to check out the blog http://www.lovethatmax.com/ written by a mother of a child with CP.

    Her son uses an Ipad with a special app to help with his communication.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much! Very interesting. I'm definitely going to share this with my students when I introduce the story.

    ReplyDelete