Pages

Saturday, September 27, 2014

Heart vs. Brain

My favorite concept from Kaplan's Depth and Complexity is Ethics (yes, I know it makes me a total GT nerd that I have a 'favorite' icon :). I love teaching it because my little ones come in with no sense of how to have an opinion. When you ask a question, they look to you to see what answer you want them to say. They say what they think they are supposed to say. It takes quite a few discussions of me playing devil's advocate to realize there is no right or wrong answer. Also, often the justification they make for their argument is "because". Every day I ask them a question and have them turn to their partner and discuss it--they are getting better at it!

So we are reading the Wizard of Oz. And in that story the Tin Woodman and the Scarecrow have a debate of their own. They argue what is more important having a heart or a brain? So I asked my kiddos to answer the same question:





Love the detail of the hearts inside...even the dog! :)














5 comments :

  1. You've got great future thinkers and great today thinkers!
    ❀ Tammy
    Forever in First

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great stuff! My main goals for my Kinders have always been creative and critical thinking, but it's so hard to find good resources while sifting through all the fluff! You're inspiring!

    Sarah
    Wonderful Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Yes, that's my big goal for my little ones as well! :)

      Delete
  3. Well that is all just adorable. And ... deep.

    ReplyDelete