Pages

Wednesday, February 15, 2017

My Latest Reads

I have not been reading as much as I'd like to. According to Goodreads I'm already behind on my Reading Challenge for this year.  I had a bunch of holds come in at the library at the same time, but just ended up returning most of them unread. One of the teachers on our team had to take an extended leave (we don't know for how long or if she is even going to come back) and my principal decided to save money on a sub and just split her class. So a few weeks ago I got 7 new students putting me at a class size of 25. Long story short I go home really exhausted most days.

But I have been able to get some reading in.


I just adored this book. I am one of those people who talks about my dog like she's my child. Lily is also a very loved pup. The Octopus in the story is the cancer she ends up developing. The author so perfectly captures the voice of a dog-the excitement of seeing you when you come home, of getting a rare treat. This book made me laugh out loud (I listened to the audiobook so the people around me probably wondered what was so funny). And it made me bawl. The relationships we have with our pets are so special.-this is a perfect example of that.


I will admit-I am not a Trevor Noah fan. I stopped watching the Daily Show when he took over-nothing personal, just I knew he wouldn't be Jon Stewart. I had no idea the turmoil he grew up surrounded by. This is a heartfelt, charming memoir of life growing up in South Africa where laws precluded mixed race relationships. The stories he told about his relationship with his mother were so endearing and hilarious. I learned a lot about the politics of the country as well. I certainly remember Apartheid and learning about it in school, but I never realized how much it affected families and the next generations. I listened to him read the story on audiobook as well-I highly recommend hearing it in his own voice. Noah has an uncanny ability with languages and that comes through so adeptly as he reads his own words. Highly recommend this one (and I started DVRing his show now. :).


I had read a great review of this book-the next exciting thriller Meh. I wasn't uber-impressed. It was a typical story, 4 friends decide to take a vacation river rafting and drama ensues. I thought towards the end it got pretty ludicrous. I can see them making this one into a Lifetime movie.


Another one that I read great reviews about-- teenagers who fall in and out of love with each other over the course of about a decade. I absolutely could see what the author was going for with this book, but I'm not sure she got there in my mind. I found one of the characters to be just really unlikable and I think that soured it for me. I wouldn't give it more than 3 stars.


Read anything great lately?



1 comment :

  1. My reading hasn't been up to snuff either. Life has been crazy busy. Anyway, 7 new students? Yikes.

    ReplyDelete