Pages

Saturday, November 24, 2018

Literature in Math

One of my resolutions this year was to step up my math instruction. I feel like we spend a lot of time on reading and then math is kind of an afterthought. I am trying to plan more structured lessons not only to teach new concepts but to spiral in past lessons. I've been collecting titles to use as an opening for my lessons and wanted to share them with you guys:


A way to introduce even and odd numbers.


A story about money. The students can get a real world example of why they need to have financial literacy.


A book about doubles.


Tana Hoban has a number of books that are just photographs reflecting real world connections to math concepts. These are great for workstation activities too.


A great book to introduce shapes.


I am a huge Jon Klassen fan and was excited to read this new trilogy of stories. Triangle is a story about a triangle trying to punk his friend square.


A story giving personality to numbers.


An adorable story about a growing number of party goers.


Zero finds out just how important he is in the math world.

Do you have any favorite math-themed stories that you use with your kiddos?



No comments :

Post a Comment