Pages

Tuesday, September 29, 2020

Changing the Details in Fairy Tales

Details is a concept of Kaplan's Depth and Complexity that I think often gets misunderstood. I've seen many teachers use this as identifying details in a story. Identifying details is not a rigorous activity. For me, especially with the young ones, I like to have them change a detail and then see what other details change. 

We are doing a unit on fairy tales right now. So we read Cinders, A Chicken Cinderella Story by Jan Brett.





 Many of the details of the original Cinderella remarkable stay the same even though the main character is now a chicken! I asked the students to think about what other fairy tales could have a chicken as a main character and what details of that story would change.



These are their responses (we are still virtual so these are the Pear Deck answers).













No comments :

Post a Comment