Pages

Wednesday, June 8, 2022

Assessing Creativity

There is a lot of controversy when it comes to whether or not creativity can be taught. I believe that you can definitely help students discover their inner creativity and apply that to how they learn. How do I know? Day One I have my students complete a Divergent Art activity. Divergent Art is when you give students a shape, line or squiggle and ask them to turn it into something. The first one I use is:


Now in the beginning most students make it into an 8, or an S or a snake.

We read lots of stories about people who are creative and unique. We play a game where they break up into groups and come up with creative answers-only if they were the only group to say that answer do they get a point (I have blogged about that before). I model for them and praise when someone comes up with a unique answer.  We do activities like this one periodically throughout the year. And at the end of the year with the same squiggle, I get answers like these:














Creative right?! The key is to keep practicing and modeling. I know they leave me with more of those creative juices flowing and I can show that. 


No comments :

Post a Comment