Pages

Friday, October 20, 2023

Rigorous Unit for Where the Wild Things Are

I think this is probably my all time favorite book to read aloud to students. We were doing a training a few years ago and had a video of it from Discovery-the sound wasn't working. So I narrated the whole thing page by page because I pretty much know it by heart. ;)





So how can we step up the rigor using this story?

We can use concepts from Kaplan's Depth and Complexity:

Multiple Perspectives:

Bubble map-how would Max's mother describe him compared to how the Wild Things would describe him? I do this on chart paper. Draw a big bubble with Max in the middle, draw a line down the center and then have the kids give me adjectives describe Max from mom's POV and the Wild Things. It is usually very similar and we can discuss why that is.

If I were Max I would....


If I were the Wild Things, I would......


Ethics:

Was it right for Max to leave the Wild Things?








Patterns: Identify the patterns in the story. Use those patterns to predict as we read the story aloud.


Rules:  What was always true about the Wild Things? What was always true about Max?


Details:  My favorite activity to do because it also reviews adjectives. Take out the word "Wild" and replace it with another adjective. What other details of the story change? So where the "pretty" things are-they blink their pretty blinks and show their pretty nails instead of rolling their eyes and showing their claws.



Rigorous Comprehension Questions:

Is this story real or make-believe? How do you know?
Did Max really travel anywhere?
If you could travel somewhere in your dreams, create the world that would look like?
How do you think Max felt when he met the Wild Things?
Why did Max leave?
What do you think the Wild Things did after Max left?
What do you think Max learned from his journey?





No comments :

Post a Comment