Pages

Friday, July 15, 2011

Article on Creativity over Test Prep

still incorporating creativity


I thought this was a really interesting article. Sad that it's the exception instead of the norm; but a battle I've had to fight myself. We take Stanford testing from K-5th Grades and those tests (even though unaligned to our curriculum) drive our instruction. We are given the compendiums that are published by the testing companies that show what subjects are tested during pre-service week before school starts.

I'm a true believer in teach them to think and they'll do fine on the test. We incorporate a lot of projects and the arts and I won't lie and say I don't have to justify that from time to time. We have an incredible principal who let us be creative in our lessons, however, the bottom line always comes down to test scores-which is unfortunate. Year after year I have had students who were so incredibly bright-but not in any way it would show up on a test. It's sad we have to "sneak" these things in, but as an advocate for genuine learning I will continue to honor my kiddos by doing just that!

No comments :

Post a Comment