Pages

Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Unconventional Valentine's Exchange

I have a confession to make-I am not a fan of classroom Valentine exchanges. Don't throw things at me---the holiday itself is fine, I don't mind celebrating it in class with other activities, but when it comes to those little cards....that part drives me crazy. It takes forever for the kids to pass them out (most don't read all the names of their classmates yet) and then the worst part for me is the complaining: Johnny got a card with a lollipop, I didn't get that one, Mary has 20 cards, I only have 19! Ugh!

So we are doing something new this year. The children are making Valentines for a local nursing home. I sent it home as a homework assignment, they could make it any way they wanted to-glitter and lace, plain and simple-whatever. We're going to brighten someone else's day and I'm actually looking forward to tomorrow for once! :)





3 comments :

  1. Love this idea! Maybe I can incorporate it somehow today or tomorrow in class. :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful idea! Thanks for sharing - definitely a sweet act of kindness. It teaches the kiddos to think beyond themselves and their classroom and gives them a broadened perspective.

    ~Jessica
    Joy in the Journey

    ReplyDelete
  3. They were excited about it and the cards they made came out soooo cute! :)

    ReplyDelete