Pages

Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Monsieur Marceau Book Discovery

So I faciliate for a district-run book club for students. One group is 3rd-5th graders and their list included a book that I thought was just a little gem:


I love biographies to begin with, but especially when I learn new things about them. In this case, I had no idea that Marcel Marceau helped rescue people from the Nazis during World War II. It was a great story to share with students because they had no idea what a mime was, much less how someone could become so famous for such an act. My 2nd favorite part was a list of things you can do to practice miming from an actual mime instructor at the end of the book. It involved an imaginary fridge and banana-how can you resist trying that out! It might not be suitable for the very young kiddos simply because you have to explain the Nazis and a concentration camp which they may be a little young for. But if you teach (or own :) older kids, I would definitely recommend this one.


2 comments :

  1. Sounds like a fun and interesting book. I didn't know that about Marceau either!

    ReplyDelete