Pages

Monday, December 5, 2016

Illustrating Poems

If you read this blog regularly at all, you will know that I LOVE poetry! When I was in high school I would literally "collect" poems I liked and record them in journals (one of my big regrets in life is I don't know what happened to those books). Poetry is something I integrate into my curriculum even with my Kinders. We read a poem every day for fluency practice. It's also great for vocabulary and building comprehension. Eventually we will write our own poems.

Because it's gotten "cold" here in Texas (50's is pretty cold for us). I decided to read Robert Frost's Stopping By the Woods on a Snowy Evening with them. I asked them to illustrate this with as much detail as they could remember. You will see the horse shaking its harness bells, the woods, the fact that it was evening. I also liked the different ways they made snow-my babies have never actually seen snow in real life-they weren't born the last time it snowed at all here. 

Anyway, I was very impressed with my little poets! :)




















1 comment :

  1. That's impressive. I always had a hard time understanding poetry in high school. Your little people have a leg up. :)

    ReplyDelete