Pages

Saturday, April 7, 2018

Inventing Insects

We did our insect unit this past week.After reading some fiction and non-fiction stories about different kinds of insects. We identified the "rules"of insects-what is always true-3 body parts, 6 legs, communicate without making any noises, etc. Using these rules I asked my students to invent their own insect and make a sculpture of it using pasta.

 I've done this activity with other classes in the past and it went off without a hitch. But this year was a little bit different. I had about 5 students who claimed they couldn't complete the activity because it was too hard. I think when they started gluing, their sculptures were not turning out the way it looked in their heads. We had to revisit the concept of grit and trying to push through when it's hard, not just give up. These were the finished products of the students who did complete the task:



















No comments :

Post a Comment