Pages

Thursday, February 14, 2019

Dedication

I was raised with a good work ethic. My father worked for a power company in Pennsylvania for 20 years before putting himself through night school for an MBA at Lehigh. I remember attending his graduation as a teen, Bill Cosby did the keynote (that was exciting back then). 

My mother worked as a secretary at a college admissions office. I worked there for her as a student worker throughout college and summers.  We were expected to work very hard. To give 6 tours a day with the same energy for the last that you had for the first. When I did data entry for them there were no breaks until you made your quotas.

So needless to say, I grew up as a bit of a workaholic. I typically work a 10 hour day. I do the regular work day and then am staying after school every day for my student book clubs. And I crazily agreed to even do Saturday tutorials (it boggles my mind how often the people who do a lot of extras are always still asked to do more extras instead of the people who don't-but that's a different post). 

Is it dedication or insanity? I'm not sure. :) 

I came across this video in my social media feed (sometimes I think the universe sends you hints):


I have always rolled my eyes at the articles about teacher self-care. I mean who has the money for massages or manicures? Who has time for bubble baths? But what I think she is talking about is really important. Not letting our work become who we are. We can be passionate and dedicated without making ourselves sick.

My mother passed away last week. She was a vibrant 68 years young. 




She was walking her dog and got hit by a car.  They Lifeflighted her to a trauma hospital but she did not survive her injuries. I share this because I regret not taking this week off. Not taking some time for myself. I have a very challenging class this year. When I'm out, the classroom always gets destroyed, materials go missing. What I realized this week is I am important, but in the scheme of things. I'm really not that important. Everyone is replaceable. The fact is life goes on and my students would have been fine without me. I actually have a horrible cold which I think was my body's way of trying to get me to take time for myself. I had Valentine's activities planned and an observation so I worked through-which is not healthy. I feel really guilty taking off especially if they can't find a sub and an aide has to take the class. But we are human.

I share this because we need to take the time to keep the light within us going. We need to take care of ourselves. Tomorrow is not promised-what will your legacy be? She worked really hard and loved her job. Or she lived life to the fullest.

I know a deep post today. :) But that is what has been on my mind.




1 comment :

  1. I am so sorry about your beautiful mom. I bet she's so proud of you and what a wonderful legacy you are for her memory. You are in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete