Pages

Saturday, January 2, 2021

Unanswered Questions

This is one of the concepts from Kaplan's Depth and Complexity that really confuses my students. My young kiddos aren't used to thinking in questions. I mean, think about it-how often are they really asked to question anything? I read once an idea: instead of posting objectives and I can statements-we post questions about what it is we are learning. Many students need practice in asking good questions.

In our daily routine we look at a photograph and ask questions about it. What don't we know.


In the beginning they ask basic questions: is that a tornado? What is that? But as we model examples of good questions, their questions get better too: is this Texas? Did anyone get hurt? I wonder what you are supposed to do if a tornado like that is coming toward you?

We also use it when finish a unit on something. What is something we still don't know about rainbows? Or after a story-we talk a lot about author's purpose but some books like The Giving Tree for example, I wonder what Silverstein's intentions were in writing it-did he want to show unconditional love or an example of selfishness? What happened to characters after we leave them? I wonder what happened to Wilbur from Charlotte's Web? I wonder what happened to Templeton?

I've seen teachers use this as just asking questions-but that's not quite right. Unanswered questions are ones we cannot simply Google the answers to-we don't know the answer, the challenge is in coming up with the questions.`









No comments :

Post a Comment