Pages

Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Woolbur

I just love discovering new books with messages that go along with the philosophy of what I'm trying to instill in my Munchkins. I found this at the library and picked it up because it looked kind of Spring-y.

 



Woolbur doesn't act like the other sheep. He runs with the dogs, he looms his own hair, he refuses to get shorn. And when his parents tell him how different he is from everyone else, his response is "isn't it great!".  Finally his parents tell him he has to act like everyone else (*spolier alert here*)-so he gets everyone else to act like he does! It's all about marching to the beat of your own drummer.

When we were discussing the story, one of my students said "but you can't be too different, then people will think you are weird". Isn't it amazing how observant they can be at 5 years old! So I asked them to write about how they will stay unique as they grow up.



















2 comments :

  1. This sounds like a great book, and I love your students responses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the idea! I would like to try this with my Kinders, too!

    ReplyDelete