Pages

Friday, December 27, 2013

What Are You Reading Over Vacation?

Yeah, I have internet-access again! All is good with the world (maybe not all, but I can finally get some work----or, if I'm being honest, some Facebook updates done :).

Like everyone else, I have a long to-do list this break. Besides entering grades and doing lesson plans, I also made a promise to myself that I'd read! I still have too many books for my student book club calling to me, but I did manage to finish one just for myself. One of the things that struck me from reading Donalyn Miller's new book Reading in the Wild was that part of the fun of reading is sharing books that you enjoy, discussing them with others. It's something I'm trying to encourage more in my classroom, so why not model it myself here as well.

I don't remember how I heard about it, I think it was a suggestion based on another book I was buying on Amazon (they always sucker me in with those). I stayed up last night to finish it, something I can't remember the last time I've done.

It's called: 


I thought it was exceptional. Probably not for everyone (although what book is), I read the Amazon reviews and there were some who thought it was boring. But if you like reading something deep and thoughtful-I think you'll like it. It has a 14-year old protagonist who wishes she had been born in a simple medieval time, and I'd summarize it by saying it's about all the different ways you can love people. And it's set in the 80's--I loved all the details from that era that the author throws in-things I had forgotten all about.

So, not that I need any more books in my Amazon cart right now :), but I'm curious to see--if you are reading over the break, what are you reading? Let me know if you have any good suggestions for my ever-growing to-be-read pile! :)



5 comments :

  1. I just finished The Diviners (loved it) I also LOVED Across a Star Swept Sea by Diana Peterfreund. (It is a ya dystopia twist on The Scarlet Pimpernel)
    Do you use goodreads to find and follow readers?

    Laurie
    Chickadee Jubilee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh will have to check those out! You know I have a goodreads account but don't really know anyone else who uses it- so probably not using it to its full potential.

      Delete
  2. You have inspired me to go and pick up a book for my enjoyment instead of lazing sloth like on the lounge.
    Julie
    Mrs Stowe's Kinder Cottage

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome Julie! But nothing wrong with lazing either! :)

      Delete