Pages

Thursday, December 31, 2015

Always Be a Beginner

I know this time of year is good for reflection. We have some time to really step back and look at what's working in our classrooms and what isn't. We have time to catch up on things-not only the things like cutting out new workstations but catching up on reading the blogs, etc. that I neglect especially when things get busy.

I also have been catching up on watching things from my DVR. I'm one of those people who has to delete things just to have the 5% I need to tape my Judge Judy every day. :) I'm down to 25% right now-I've been so productive! One of the things I often record-and don't laugh-is Oprah's Master Class segments. She interviews celebrities and asks them about their key to success and their life history. I was watching Justin Timberlake's segment-of all people and he said something that really struck me. He said you always have to be a beginner. In other words, try new things, things that may be out of your wheelhouse and learn to do that, rather than just do what you are already good at over and over.

I really like that thought. I couldn't have articulated it before-but that is how I see myself. I do try to learn about new technologies or read the new research. I'm one of those people who will ask questions if I don't understand. I think that's really important in our field and something not all teachers are willing to do. I can't tell you how many meetings or PD's I've attended where people will say "why reinvent the wheel?"--because that old wheel doesn't necessarily work anymore! People have been teaching for a long time, but classrooms today are much different than even just 10 years ago. You have to take those risks to keep things fresh not only for yourself but for the students. 

So as we enter into 2016-that's one thing that I'm really going to keep in mind. How can I try new things to accomplish what we need to accomplish. And I will definitely share my new discoveries, as always!

Happy New Year to everyone!!!!



1 comment :

  1. Always be a beginner. That's good. Sometimes I feel like a beginner without even trying to. That's how I feel this year for sure. I just have to remind myself that it's maybe not a bad thing. :)

    ReplyDelete