Pages

Saturday, January 14, 2017

If Martin Luther King Jr. Were Alive Today...

My brain is always full of what if's. What if I didn't choose to take this route to work and got tied up in that traffic coming the other way? What if I had decided to stay in Pennsylvania and not move to Texas? I read all the time about actors who turned down a certain role only to miss out on stardom or the other way around-they took a role that turned out to be the role of a lifetime.

I ask my students to ask "what if?" often as well. Yesterday we wrote about what would have happened if MLK had survived the 60's. What if he were alive today. I was just reading about how John Lewis was going to boycott the inauguration for the first time in his career and our President-Elect was calling him out on it. Imagine if we had someone like MLK to speak out about rights that seem like they may be in jeopardy in these upcoming months. Of course, I stayed out of the politics side of it with my students, but I did ask them the question-what do you think he would say or do if he was alive today?


he would say everyone should go to school [together].















1 comment :

  1. That's a great question and one I haven't heard asked of kids before. My students are usually so intrigued by his death and have all kinds of questions and insights. I should ask them your question and see what they think.

    ReplyDelete