Pages

Monday, March 8, 2021

Rules for Dr. Seuss Books

I know there is controversy this year regarding Dr. Seuss books and I believe rightfully so. If you want to read an articulate argument I loved Terri's blog post on the subject. My feeling is that as we know better, we do better and if there are books that do not fit in with the requirements for racial equality today-then they shouldn't be published.  Here is her blog post: https://engagetheirminds.com/2021/03/05/can-an-anti-racist-still-love-dr-seuss/


However, my school required Dr. Seuss for our Read Across America choice so I did read some of his stories to my students. We discussed the Rules (from Kaplan's Depth and Complexity)-what is always true about his books. Here is what they came up with:





"always having fluency"









Then we applied those Rules to imagine that Dr. Seuss wrote one of their favorites-Wedgie and Gizmo.






























No comments :

Post a Comment