Pages

Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Help With An Idea....

I'm always trying to take every opportunity to turn things into learning experiences. Traditionally, I have my kiddos dress up on Halloween as literary characters and we do a performance for parents based on perspective. Been there, done that with this group! :) I needed a new idea. I remembered seeing an idea on the Scholastic site years ago where they had kids dress up as words. Now, loving words myself as I do, I stored this idea away and pulled out that mental file this year. We are going to have a Vocabulary Runway Show for parents that day. So for example, if the word was "dazzling" (they will all wear a Miss America sash with the word) and dazzling would wear: shiny sequins, sparkly sunglasses, etc. I have maybe half the words already-things like eerie, disheveled, zany, bold. The kids are giving me some direction in what kinds of words they want. I'm asking for your help to come up with some more (because you are, of course, some of the smartest people I know and I need 23 of them!). 

So if you can think of any good describing words that someone could easily decorate a costume with and might be new to primary-aged kiddos-will you leave it in the comments below please? I'm excited-I think it will be a fun activity for them and they are already picking up some new vocabulary from it!



8 comments :

  1. I saw another blog where they did that, if I find it, I'll send you the link. I remember the teacher used this book: Miss Alaineus: A Vocabulary Disaster by Debra Frasier to get the kids thinking,
    Kelly
    I'm Not Your Grandpa, I'm Your Teacher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will check that book out-thank you for the suggestion!

      Delete
  2. colorful, entertaining, brilliant, effervescent, intriguing, mysterious, show-stopping, magical, surprising, elegant, vivacious, hilarious, lovely....hope those help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Awesome words-thank you so much much Sue! :)

      Delete
  3. Great idea! Captivating, eclectic, mesmerizing, dynamic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh, I like those too! Thanks Terri! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. My only thought was character trait-like words. Not sure if they could be represented in a costume though. Sounds like fun!
    ❀ Tammy
    Forever in First

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ditto the first comment. We read Miss Alaineous and then had a Vocabulary Day Parade! We copied all the words from our curriculum's vocabulary list. (The only part of my curriculum I use) Starry, forest, flames, fancy, magnetic, striped, horizontal/vertical.
    Laurie
    Chickadee Jubilee

    ReplyDelete