Pages

Friday, August 22, 2014

S.C.A.M.P.E.R. for Nursery Rhymes


S.C.A.M.P.E.R. is a great way to challenge kiddos to think critically and creatively. I use nursery rhymes in my whole group reading activties because I think they are great for discussions about rhymes and rhythm. Not to mention playing with the words and sentences can be fun!
 
 
S-Substitute:you can substitute new words and find new rhymes or just see if it changes the meaning. "Little Boy Blue, come blow your....bubble" (instead of horn). How would that change the meaning of the rhyme.
 
C.-Combine:combine 2 rhymes together-Little Miss Muffet and Little Bo Peep-what would the result be?
 
A.-Adapt: Adapt a nursery rhyme for a different purpose, what if they were used by scientists? What if they were used for elderly people? You could also adapt them for different habitats-pretend Little Bo Peep lived in Alaska, for example.
 
M. Modify: How could you make nursery rhymes more realistic?
 
P. Put to Another Use-what else could we use them for? Right now moms use them with their kids or teachers--what other professions could benefit from nursery rhymes.
 
E.Elimate the rhymes and see if it is the same. What would happen in a specific rhyme if you took away a part? What if Little Miss Muffet never saw a spider?
 
R.I've always seen this as rearrange-so you can change up the words or phrases and see if you can still keep the meaning. But I also just read an example where this stood for reverse. So reverse the lines of the nursery rhyme and read it through. Discuss how it changes.
 
 
Just some thoughts. I'm waiting for the parents on Meet the Teacher Night and I think I'm actually ready for them! :)
 
 
 
 
 
 

4 comments :

  1. Off course the nursery rhymes are just great for children, teachers and mothers, and I like this S.C.A.M.P.E.R. method, I must implement it with my little students. I love to read your thoughts.

    Thanks,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kate! I love using nursery rhymes and it surprises me how many kiddos haven't heard them before! :)

      Delete
  2. I just want to be in your classroom and glean from you!
    Laurie
    Chickadee Jubilee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, Laurie you are so sweet! I feel the same way about you! :)

      Delete