Pages

Sunday, February 7, 2016

Kid's Philosophy Slam

I love using the concept of philosophy with my kiddos! We talk about ethics from Kaplan's Depth and Complexity anyway, I feel like this is just an extension of that. I discovered this contest because of Terri over at: http://engagetheirminds.com/ . We have entered for the past 3 years and I'm guessing there probably aren't too many entries in the Kindergarten realm because we have won both 2nd and 1st place in the past two years respectively. Of course, it's not all about winning, I do think it's a great experience for the kids as well.

This year's topic is:  http://www.philosophyslam.org/  "Imagination or Knowledge-which as a greater impact on society?"  Deep, right!? The more I thought about this the more I realized this is what I deal with every day! I teach a mostly GT class in Kindergarten. I am all about teaching them how to be creative and think critically, challenging everyone. And then I have kiddos right now who still can't read their high frequency words because that knowledge has not been drilled into them the way it might have been in a "regular" class.

Anyway my kids mostly wrote about imagination being more important -because that is what makes the world work, or that is what is going to save the world. They might here that often from their teacher...ahem, I tell them every day they are going to be the generation that is going to cure cancer, that is going to create flying cars, etc. and I'm glad they are listening! :)

It's not too late to enter if you are interested-all grade levels from Kinder through high school have a category.





1 comment :

  1. Wow, that's really cool! I just checked it. I hope you post some of your kids' responses before mailing them off.

    ReplyDelete