Pages

Saturday, October 26, 2013

Oddrey

I facilitate for a student book club on campus and one of the perks is every year I get to read about 70 books (there are two groups, one K-2 and one 3rd-5th), most titles which are new to me. And I always make some awesome discoveries. My kiddos know how much I value "uniqueness". Being a little odd is often a trait of being truly gifted. We embrace that in our classroom. I have pics of an activity we did that I will post later this week, where the students were making their own version of Klimt's Tree of Life. I wanted them to be creative and make their own "Tree of _________". One of my kids did a Tree of Eyes. Is that a little odd, yes? Do I think it's awesome, definitely! :) If you want to make blue apples in my class, that's fine by me!




Why do I mention blue apples? Because that's what happens in this story. This is about a little girl named Oddrey, who is basically a little odd. Her teacher doesn't understand her and it makes her feel lonely sometimes. But it doesn't stop her from saving the day. I'm going to add this gem to my list of books that encourage risk-takers and marching to the beat of your own drummer.

Speaking of, we had a Dress Like the Eighties Day at our school. 80's I can do, piece of cake-I lived it!



 I had a better hat, but couldn't find it and in trying to make my hair big, it did not come out cute. The funniest line all day was my student who asked me "Miss Trayers, did you know in the olden days they used to roll their jeans up like this?" I told him to watch that "olden days" stuff! I was impressed that some of them recognized music like Journey and Bon Jovi--maybe there's hope for this generation after all. :)


6 comments :

  1. Ooo, I didn't know about Oddrey until now ... and I've added her to my ever-growing list! Thanks.

    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm pinning that book!
    You look adorable, BTW :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thank you! I definitely think it's a theme that's right along with your philosophy! :)

      Delete