Pages

Friday, July 16, 2021

Unique First Week Read-Alouds

It is important to me that my students have new experiences in their new class. I want to introduce them to new authors, new characters. There are some amazing books out there that are popular with teachers-First Day Jitters, Kissing Hand, David, etc. But I want to do something different.



Told from the school's perspective, a student says how much she hates school and it hurts the school's feelings. It tells about routines kids have that it just doesn't understand. A great way to introduce empathy and multiple perspectives.


Don't we all! :) We have discussions about what school spirit is and how we can show that spirit.


We read several books about names. I like to do this because our names are part of our identity. Alma has several names and she learns about her family history through hers.


Penguin wants to fly and I use this book to introduce grit to my students. He works hard to figure out a way. 



In this story the student likens Kindergarten to his royal court. 


A story about how important it is to learn people's names and pronounce them correctly. This is something I consciously teach my students-both about their names and the names they use for others.


This is a fun story about a bit of playground rivalry and some rulers who let it go to their heads.








No comments :

Post a Comment