Pages

Friday, May 19, 2023

Measuring Growth

My district is adopting a merit based pay system. As a teacher of young kids I do not agree with these kinds of systems. I know our data is important but my students grow in so many different ways-not just in reading and math scores. And just this year my class had 9 students identified as "urgent intervention" when other teachers had zero. The measure is on grade level so if they are below grade level it doesn't even often show growth. 

We write every day. I have my students write in their writing journals the first week and then sit down with them this time of year to review the progress they have made. Sometimes they say "I didn't write like that" --yes honey, you did. :) 

I wish more often portfolios were accepted as ways to show growth as well. Here is one student:


She is now using spaces between her words, using adjectives, spelling sight words.


This student is now writing in complete sentences, using spaces, punctuation.

So they grew! I share this with my parents as well. I like to do student led conferences where students can share their progress with their parents.

Just remember that there are many different ways to grow throughout the school year.





No comments :

Post a Comment