Pages

Tuesday, August 21, 2012

A New Kind of Parent Communication

So I  was in our pre-service training this week and one of the teachers was talking about how she did dialogue journals with her students each week. And it hit me---why not try to do them with parents???? I could send the little composition book (decorated of course) home on Friday and ask them to read and respond at one point in the weekend. I could give them direct feedback on what we did over the week, anecdotes about what their child said or did and then what we were working on.

Has anyone ever done anything like this? Did it work? I don't often get feedback from parents regularly, but the more I thought about it, I really didn't ask for it either. This would be a way to communicate with questions/comments that come up throughout the year.




3 comments :

  1. This sounds like a great idea, one I'd be willing to try. Are you thinking of pasting a generic "what we did" note with maybe a personal comment or two, or are you thinking of writing each comment separately? (I don't know if I could handle that one...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really wanted to write a comment each week-I figure if I take like 5 home each night and then send them home on Fridays?? I hope it's not too much to keep up with...we'll see. Thanks for the comment! :)

      Delete
  2. I send home a take home note every day, but one that has picture symbols so I can circle items quickly. My parents LOVE the communication!

    ReplyDelete