Pages

Monday, August 13, 2012

Today's Project

You may not know this, but I'm one of those people who loves to look at crafts of things people made, but I'm not really very crafty myself. I admire and say I'd love to do that, but I know it will never happen. I love to paint, to create-just not very good at it.

I've seen lots of first day pics where people make frames that the kids hold up for a photo. I'm thinking since so many parents like to take pictures on the first day, this year I'm going to try that idea. My theme being the Wizard of Oz, this is what I came up with (it's just a plain wooden frame that I painted-I tried to get my dog Ruby to pose in it, but she wasn't having it-no kids to try it out with) :



I know the lettering is not perfect (believe me, it wasn't for lack of trying-I repainted the white many times! :). But I think it will serve its purpose. The first picture in the kids' portfolios can be them inside a rainbow instead of over it! 




6 comments :

  1. That is so cute! They will look adorable and what a great memory to have!

    Nichole
    Craft of Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is no place like kindergarten!!! Nice work of art students :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to do this, but I'm not sure how to handle the kids that rotate in and out over the year. We have many students that are on the apartment circuit. They may change schools 3 - 5 times a year. A couple of years ago my coworker started the year with 18 kids. Only 4 kids stayed with her all year. 2 other kids started with us, left went to a couple other schools, and ended up back with her at the end of the year.

    Instead of saying something about 1st day of school. I'm thinking of making a sign that says (Name of School) 2nd Grade Superstar. Then for the end of the year make a sign about moving on to 3rd grade. That way I can take a picture of the kids even if they enter later in the year. Of course there won't be much change if they enter the week before school ends. (A couple of years ago this family flipped out and filed complaints with the district because we wouldn't enroll their children. It was the last day of school, and we had already dismissed students!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmmm, I didn't think of that. Wow, poor kids that they move around so much. We have some of that, but I guess that's one way I'm spoiled teaching the GT group-parents still will bring their kids to us, even if they move. I think your idea sounds really cute-that way it's more that they were part of the class and not necessarily celebrating the beginning of school.

      Delete
  4. This is a great project. I am pretty sure kids will forever remember that day and what happened. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete