Pages

Monday, December 16, 2013

Ethics and the Velveteen Rabbit

So my internet at home has been disconnected for a whole week now. I feel so disconnected! I can't believe 20 years ago we lived without the world wide web and now it's hard to even function without it. Anyway, that's why I've had difficulty posted more regularly and have had withdrawal from not being able to read other blogs.
I shared one of my favorite classic stories with my kiddos this past week, The Velveteen Rabbit. I asked them to think about whether it was right or wrong that the rabbit was made real. Here were their responses:






                                                  right because if he wasn't real he would still be in the nasty bag.

                                     right because he deserved to be free and that is his real family.

                                   
                                            right because the rabbit tried to help the kid when he was getting red because
                                                                 the rabbit was trying to be nice.

"there are many dangers to being a rabbit"--one of my favorites!


Gotta love boys! "because he can get revenge on the boy and the other rabbits who made fun of him"--a future Hollywood screenwriter! :)


                     I like this one too-"the other toys might be jealous".

                       wrong because it's a toy rabbit and it don't move or smile

3 comments :

  1. One of my all-time FAVES! Love their reflections; thanks for sharing.

    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to reread this. Thanks (as always) for the reminder!

    Kimberley
    First in Maine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you guys for stopping by. I remembered it being more Christmas-related, but I still think the kiddos enjoyed it! :)

    ReplyDelete