Pages

Thursday, May 22, 2014

Feedback

One of the hardest lessons for me to learn as a teacher was that you can't please everyone. Parents all come in with different expectations, then you have the kids who definitely have differences in how they want to learn and then add admins to the mix. Try as you might, it's hard to sometimes to keep everyone happy. My best example of this is what happened to a colleague of mine. In our old building we could control the AC (central controls now). A parent was helping out in the room and complained to the administration that the room was too hot-her son couldn't work in that environment. Teacher was told to lower the AC, so this poor teacher was walking around all day in a jacket. The following week 2 parents were in the office complaining that it was too cold. My friend said she felt like Goldilocks looking for that "just right". I very much appreciate feedback from parents. I am a people pleaser and would love to please everyone-however, like I learned early on, that's not always possible.

That leads me to my question: do any of you do parent surveys for feedback at the end of the year? I'm looking for maybe a better way to do it. I create a survey through the SurveyMonkey site and post it on our class webpage, of course letting them know it's there. I don't get many responses though. I've done this every year for the past 4 years and only have at most received 3 (some years zero-I took it myself to make sure it worked). Uusally the complaints are about something that's school policy-I have no say in it and couldn't fix that if I wanted to. I want it to be anonymous or I'd do one on paper. If you have found a better way, please let me know.

In addition to asking for feedback from parents I also ask my students. This always makes me laugh! I can't wait until this becomes part of our evaluation because I know that's coming. Even though I encourage them to be honest, that this will help future kids-most won't lodge any kind of complaint. I literally just threw something together last minute (did I mention we only have 5 more days with the kiddos-haven't even started packing anything yet!). But here are some of their responses:


What would you change: get a relaxing day for Miss Trayers! :)



That pesky drama!


What would you change: big tables and big chairs--they do have little chairs!


Of course, the favorite part is recess!


Ruby is my dog-so no, that is not happening! :)


"Make everyone good"---Where's that magic wand again?


Awww-favorite part was meeting me and you would give me a break. I sense a trend. :)

The last one named a student-that's why I cut it out. I'm glad she liked the activities and chapter books--I do try! :)


I actually like the fun homework suggestion. I'm actually not a fan of homework period and might take her idea and run with that next year.


See, they like choice! I'm with you on the spelling tests honey, I don't like those either. Do you think anyone would notice if I just stopped giving them?



Cupcakes do make everything better, don't they? :)


And of course, lollipops! :) I am absolutely not one to use food as rewards-maybe I need to rethink that policy too! :)


Well I always tell my kiddos, don't ask the question if you don't want to hear the answer! I asked and they responded.



1 comment :

  1. I enjoyed reading these. I should try something like this. Thank you!
    ❀ Tammy
    Forever in First

    ReplyDelete