Pages

Sunday, July 10, 2016

My First Week Read-Alouds

If you know me at all, you know I'm a bit of a rebel. I try to do things differently than the teachers my Kindergarten students had in Pre-K did. One of those things is to vary the books they hear as read-alouds.

These are some new ones I'm going to use this year and some of my all-time favorites! I love having them compare the fictional story to their own experiences in our class.


I LOVE the concept of this book! The boy is an astronaut and the process of preparing for and attending the first day of Kindergarten is told through space analogies. I had a student last year who would have just adored this book!



I read a book like this and I just wonder how the author came up with this concept. I mean, why a buffalo? But the story is really cute-it's about a buffalo who isn't sure he is going to fit into his Kindergarten class. He, of course does, because everyone, even a buffalo has something to contribute to their classroom community.



                     This is my all-time favorite beginning of the year story. The little boy is going to "Kindergarten"and the farm animals all hypothesize what that word means. It's a really sweet story.




1 comment :