Pages

Thursday, December 23, 2021

Edward Tulane and Love

I have posted before about my tradition of reading chapter books to my students. It is my favorite part of the day! The kids get to know the characters so well that they actually often miss them when the story is finished. I also believe it benefits comprehension and vocabulary skills greatly.

We just finished reading The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane-lots of ways to bring in Kaplan's Depth and Complexity with this book. One thing is it brings up many Big Ideas. One of those Big Ideas is love. Basically Edward goes through a bit of an existential crisis and at one point wonders like the famous quote "is it better to have loved and lost or never to have loved at all". I asked my 1st Graders to write about their thoughts on the subject.

















No comments :

Post a Comment