Pages

Thursday, December 30, 2021

My One Word Resolution for 2022

I don't make actual resolutions, each year I choose a word that I can use to focus on bettering myself. This year it was tough to think of a word. Like many teachers, this year has been the most challenging of my career. Our promotion standard for 1st Grade is passing the high frequency word test. I had 2 students pass on the first try in October. 90% of my students did not know their letters and sounds the first day of school. Intervention blocks have been squeezed into our already crowded schedules. And I am seeing progress-it's just been slow which is discouraging. I am not sure my students are going to be ready for 2nd grade despite my best efforts and that makes me feel very ineffective.

As the numbers of people infected with this virus continue to climb, there is a lot of anxiety that goes along with that. As many of you know, I went through treatment for breast cancer 6 years ago which included chemo treatments. My immune system is not what it used to be. I am very careful, but all it takes is one germ. We are being pushed into trying to go back to a "normal" instruction-students collaborating in groups, etc. it's hard for me to put that into practice.  Part of me wanted to choose a word like "survive". But that seemed too easy.

My word for 2022 is FEARLESS. I am going to fearlessly do what I need to do in order to give my students what they need. I am going to fearlessly continue to grow and try new ideas. I am going to continue to fearlessly share my ideas with my colleagues and followers. And I am going to try to go to school fearlessly every day (armed with my masks and sanitizer of course). 




What is your One Word Resolution for 2022?






No comments :

Post a Comment