Pages

Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Creating Risk-Takers

 When I list goals for my kiddos, one of those is to create risk-takers. We discuss at length, the difference between being a risk-taker and skateboarding off the roof (which is not encouraged :) and being a risk-taker in coming up with an idea everyone might not accept, or sharing an answer you are not sure is correct, which I do encourage. I have actually heard the encouragement from student to student when one raises their hand and then does not have an answer. The student told the other-- "take a risk, share your answer"! So I hope it's getting through. Of course, at this age they are not too concerned what their peers think of them yet, so they are pretty genuine.

Some literature that I think helps model risk-taking in being an original (Fancy Nancy, Ladybug Girl, Pinkalicious-- I think falls into that category too, but these may be ones that aren't as popular) :











We have so many medical, technological, social advances because people took risks. These kids are our future, we need them to be originals!



5 comments :

  1. I've never heard of any of these. Now I have to check them out at the library!!
    Blessings,

    Jessica Stanford
    Mrs. Stanford's Class Blog
    PS If you haven't already joined my giveaway I would love to have you join!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the books. With older kids this is a real problem. They are so invested in being smart and correct they won't take chances and resist learning new things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys! Yeah, I can imagine a big issue with the older kids. The younger ones are not really confident yet (most of them) with coming up with something different/new. There's not a lot of peer pressure yet, but they are still pretty unsure of themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I see some new books I'm going to have to check out. I love Stand Tall Molly Lou Melon. I like to use it for back to school!! Thanks for stopping by on my blog. I am now your newest follower! It looks like you have some great detail on here!

    ღDeAnne
    First Grade and Fabulous

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing this great list. Even older elementary students love to be read to. And picture books rule...short read and valuable lessons.

    ReplyDelete