Pages

Monday, June 25, 2012

My Classroom Theme This Year

So it's a tough decision to make because I know I'll have to look at it all year and there are sooooo many different choices out there; but I've finally decided the theme I'm going to do for my classroom this fall.....The Wizard of Oz!!! It's usually one of the first chapter read-alouds we do (great for introducing ethics!), so I can tie it into the academics.

*I'm going to do signs that say "There's No Place Like Miss Trayers' Class".
*For the library something like "Have the Courage to Read  Good Book"
* I'm going to start our morning message with : Dear Munchkins,
* a yellow brick word wall (I think with rainbow cut-outs, still need a good title for that)
* hot-air balloon cut-outs for their nametags.

The ideas are just flowing in. I actually found a website that sells fabric with the characters on it-I just have to find out if we can use fabric as a backdrop on our boards, we have a very strict fire marshall.

I need an opinion from y'all, because I trust you :). I found a very cheap Dorothy costume and am seriously considering dressing up in it for either the parent Meet-and-Greet or the 1st day of school. Is that totally insane? Teachers at my school don't really do things like that, but I just think it would be so much fun!

What do you think? Too over-the-top?

14 comments :

  1. I think the kids would LOVE it if you dressed up like that for the first day of school. That would be so much fun. I would for sure love it if I were in your class :)

    Super cute ideas too for your theme.

    Heidi
    My (Not So) Elementary Life

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea! But if you are worried about being too over the top you might want to just wear the shoes. Ruby shoes are so cool, don't you think.

    Instead of follow the yellow brick road--read the yellow brick words . . . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so creative! Your enthusiasm spills out. I like the idea from the comment above, wearing the shoes. But, my general feeling is that we tend to regret more things we didn't do, than the ones we did. Go for it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nothing too over-the-top!
    Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would totally think you were awesome if you dressed up! What parent/child doesn't love a teacher that goes above and beyond to bring wonder and excitement to the kids? Both would leave that night/day all puffed that they indeed had the best teacher in the whole school...especially if the other teachers don't do things like that. But, if you decide it is just too over the top, then I would most definitely suggest following the comment above about wearing the ruby shoes at least. Because even that would be so cool to everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you guys so much for your input! I very much value your opinions and it makes me feel better that I'm not completely crazy :). I think I'm going to have to go for it! I also agree we usually regret what we didn't do. I may get some crazy looks, but you're right, my students will love it I'm sure!

    Now off to try to find some ruby slippers :).

    ReplyDelete
  7. If not 1st day or meet & greet- what about day and let your class dress up too if they are able?

    Love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love it! Dear Munchkins is precious! I cannot wait to see some pictures of what you do. =)


    Heather
    Heather's Heart

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this idea! I love themes that go with a book. Thanks for the comment. I'm excited to be your newest follower and see what you come up with for this theme.
    Ms. Kerri and her Krazy Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you! I've don't think I've ever done a book theme before-my last few have been places--China, New York. I spent way too much on borders at Teacher Heaven today-but I found some I think will work really well. One is even Emerald City green. :) Thanks for the comments!

    ReplyDelete
  11. First grade parade had the cutest Wizard of Oz frebie.... I downloaded it this year... here is the link

    http://thefirstgradeparade.blogspot.com/2012/03/follow-yellow-brick-road-retelling.html

    Your newest follower,
    Stephany
    primarypossibilities.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Stephany-thank you so much for that link-I really appreciate it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a fun theme!! I love all of your ideas:) I can't wait to see pictures of it. Thank you for linking up!

    Aloha,
    Corinna
    Surfin' Through Second

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this theme! The Wizard of Oz is my all time favorite movie. I may have to borrow this for another year. I am awarding you the Versatile blogger award. You can pick it up at Homemade First Grade. http://homemadefirstgrade.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete