Can I just say, I am so impressed by the number of teachers who are posting ideas, looking for ideas on their summer vacation. Say what you want about us media, but we are dedicated!
My goals for next year: I found some ideas online, heard about in trainings or just plain want to improve on some things for next year.
1) Classroom management-I am reading Conscious Discipline, which I do like certain aspects of. I need to do more classroom community activities. Every year I'm finding more and more kids coming in very mean-spirited for a 5-year old.
2) Planning-I am going to try to implement some :
Our evaluations are much more stringent now and we have to show the backward design process and how that ties into assessment. I think that's difficult in Kinder. Our assessments are supposed to be more one-on-one and you can't do something like that weekly. *sigh*. So I have to figure out a way to get better at that. I do have Understanding by Design and will see what I can implement from that. 50% of our evaluations will be based on test scores-we will probably have to create that test.
3) I need to work on connecting with parents better-and if anyone has any suggestions for that I am totally open! I invite them in for some kind of parent activity every month and buy a big box of blank cards to send thank-you's for everything from attending a meeting to working with their kids at home. However, I still had unhappy parents this year-I know it's hard but I want everyone to be happy!
4) Reading The Book Whisperer right now and need to come up with a system to encourage more independent reading. Also hard when most are emergent readers. But will record a bunch of books this summer that they can take home and read/listen to.
5) I'm going to implement an inquiry/project based-learning curriculum. Don't know what that is going to look like yet-but will find ideas.
Just thinking out loud. When I put it in writing, that's a lot to do while teaching summer school! :)