Pages

Thursday, June 28, 2012

Reading Web Resources for Students

I'm teaching summer school this month and using some of these even whole group with my kiddos. I like that they are reading the story and showing the text along with it-great for that sound/word connection. These are also links I add to the class website for kids to use for practice at home. Are you familiar with these?

1) Tumblebooks is a good one. They have a paid membership, but many libraries are nice enough to have it on their websites for free. I use Atlantic City Public Library-but if you Google it various libraries come up.

Tumblebooks-Atlantic City Public Library

My kids love Big Chicken, 50 Below and Princess Justina Albertina.


2) Story Place

This one has fairy tale stories told with a twist. My kids love Dinosaurs Rock. I encourage them to even watch the ones for "Preschool" because they are just like their decodable texts in the repitition of words.

3) http://pbskids.org/electriccompany/

Not the Electric Company when we were young :) but they do still say "Hey, you guys!". Lots of cute animations for reading strategies. *warning* Silent "e" is a Ninja will stay in your head forever!!! :)



3 comments :

  1. I'm teaching summer readiness too!
    Blessings,

    Jessica Stanford
    Mrs. Stanford's Class
    I need your help! Come check out my last post ❤

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use the Electric Company videos in some of my reading flipcharts & the kids are crazy about them! I definitely will have to check into Story Place. That sounds like a great resource! Thanks for sharing!
    Lisa
    Learning Is Something to Treasure

    ReplyDelete
  3. Small world- I was born in Atlantic City, and grew up on the Island in a different city. My family still lives near there. Will check out Tumblebooks.

    ReplyDelete