Pages

Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Pecan Pie Baby

If you are like me, you have already invested way too much in books this summer. *whistle* But I came across this to make a recommendation.

I worked in day care for several years before I ended up getting officially certified to teach. One day a preschool student came in talking about how her mom was going to have a baby. Well, when mom came to pick her up, of course, we congratulated her and asked about a due date. She looked very perplexed. She asked the little girl why she thought they were having a baby and the little girl said "whenever a kid moves up to the preschool room-they get a little brother or sister!" Needless to say, it can be a confusing concept for them. My favorite is when they say we just got a baby-like you just picked one up at Wal-Mart. :)

This is a really cute story and I love finding multicultural characters:


My kiddos just loved this book this past year and I think it's a realistic take on the sometimes-less-than-enthusiastic feelings kids have to no longer be the only child anymore. A warning though-there's a part with a jump rope rhyme that I can still recite because the girls in the class would say it ALL the time! But that's good, that means they can "read" that page all by themselves. Anyway, a really cute story that you could stretch with a discussion on opinions-is it better to be an only child or have siblings? It would be great for a family unit-comparing families, lots of possibilities!


No comments :

Post a Comment