Pages

Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Resolutions

One of the things I love about blogging is that it's like I can think out loud. If I put my thoughts in writing not only do they make more sense to me, but I can reflect back and see if I actually accomplished what I meant to accomplish.

I do make resolutions for every new year. I try to learn from my past mistakes and this year I have a pretty good idea of what my class is going to be like, because I am looping up with my group. So here goes:

1) Am going to try to be better at teaching things like mental math. I know they have to learn place value and regrouping this year and I really want to set a good foundation for that.

2) Trying better to use every minute of the day. When our Kinders were in Pre-K they had already developed a reputation of having quite a few "boogerbears"! Even when separated out in Kinder, we still had times of the day where things just took too long. Cleaning up from stations was definitely one of them. I also want to do bucket-filling and other classroom community activities so maybe they we can cut down on all the time-consuming drama! :)

3) Incorporate more digital resources. There is just so much out there to try! It's almost overwhelming. But this group is definitely digitally-oriented, so I have to work on that.

4) Encouraging a passion not only for reading themselves, but for read-alouds. That time of day was such a struggle last year (and I still haven't figured out why). But I need to do something to make that time fun for them, I am definitely not going to just cut it out of our day-too stubborn for that!

5) Be a good team player. I usually am one, but I'm starting over with a new team this year and just want to do everything I can to develop good relationships. Typically, I can be very practical-minded. So if you say let's go on a field trip to the zoo, my response might be-why don't we wait until it's not so hot? Or they went to the zoo last year, can we take them to a play or something different? And sometimes that comes off as being negative to ideas. So I will definitely edit myself this year! :)

What are some of your resolutions for this upcoming year?



3 comments :

  1. I want to be more organized and think more about what is on the horizon in the upcoming weeks. Usually I plan/work one week at a time, so I need to be better about looking ahead to the entire month and knowing what is ahead.

    KT
    www.sneakerteacher.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh! That's a good one too! I go into the year planning ahead and then always feel like I'm treading water!-what needs to get done for tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My list seems long, probably too long. The one off the top of my head is that I'd really like to incorporate more literature into math. I don't want to use it just as a read-aloud though. I want it to go further so that the problem solving we do somehow comes from the literature. It almost sounds lofty, but I'm gonna try!
    ❀ Tammy
    Forever in First

    ReplyDelete