One of the things I love about blogging is that it's like I can think out loud. If I put my thoughts in writing not only do they make more sense to me, but I can reflect back and see if I actually accomplished what I meant to accomplish.
I do make resolutions for every new year. I try to learn from my past mistakes and this year I have a pretty good idea of what my class is going to be like, because I am looping up with my group. So here goes:
1) Am going to try to be better at teaching things like mental math. I know they have to learn place value and regrouping this year and I really want to set a good foundation for that.
2) Trying better to use every minute of the day. When our Kinders were in Pre-K they had already developed a reputation of having quite a few "boogerbears"! Even when separated out in Kinder, we still had times of the day where things just took too long. Cleaning up from stations was definitely one of them. I also want to do bucket-filling and other classroom community activities so maybe they we can cut down on all the time-consuming drama! :)
3) Incorporate more digital resources. There is just so much out there to try! It's almost overwhelming. But this group is definitely digitally-oriented, so I have to work on that.
4) Encouraging a passion not only for reading themselves, but for read-alouds. That time of day was such a struggle last year (and I still haven't figured out why). But I need to do something to make that time fun for them, I am definitely not going to just cut it out of our day-too stubborn for that!
5) Be a good team player. I usually am one, but I'm starting over with a new team this year and just want to do everything I can to develop good relationships. Typically, I can be very practical-minded. So if you say let's go on a field trip to the zoo, my response might be-why don't we wait until it's not so hot? Or they went to the zoo last year, can we take them to a play or something different? And sometimes that comes off as being negative to ideas. So I will definitely edit myself this year! :)
What are some of your resolutions for this upcoming year?