Pages

Monday, July 29, 2013

Reading Response Ideas

One of the things I want to try to change up a little bit this year is the projects my kids do in response to literature that we read aloud and discuss. After having most of them already for a year, I feel like I need some new tools in my bag of tricks-we need to be doing something novel for them to apply what they are learning.

I tried this one out with my summer school kiddos. I wanted them to make a charm bracelet for the character. So what was important to the characters, what would they put on there. If it was Dorothy I'd say the ruby slippers, Toto, something to represent friends, home, etc. It's something they really enjoyed doing and I believe made them think a little bit more about the characters. They did pics on one side and then wrote what it represented on the other. All it took was a little construction paper and some yarn.





7 comments :

  1. I love the idea of a charm bracelet for a character. I think they would really connect to that. Thanks for sharing!

    P.S.- This is the kind of strategy you could link up to my teaching strategies linky party for the next three Saturdays. I'd love to have you contribute. You have wonderful ideas!

    Colleen Patton
    Mrs. Patton’s Patch

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Ms. Patton, that means a lot to me-I will definitely check out your link up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi... I like your blog set up...really nice

    Happy be to be your newest follower
    I'd love you to stop by my bog an join with me,If you get a chance.

    www.mysmartangels.blogspot.com

    Nilangi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I will definitely check out your blog! :)

      Delete
  4. This is brilliant, but so are you. Thanks for the fabulous idea!

    Kimberley
    First in Maine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kimberley you are just too kind! Thank you! :)

      Delete
  5. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the charm bracelet idea. You are so creative!!!!!

    ReplyDelete